Income Tax Refund Services

0203 137 5773
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Call today for free advice

Frequently Asked Questions About Tax Rebates

  • Can I claim both mileage tax relief and vehicle expenses? No, you claim either one or the other. If you are employed and have to use your vehicle to perform your work duties, it would generally be to your advantage to claim mileage tax relief as the HMRC's mileage allowance is generous enough to cover vehicle expenses such as fuel, Read More
  • Can I reclaim all my taxes when leaving the UK? Not automatically. If you were charged income tax in the same tax year that you left the UK, the chances are that you could be due a tax refund. The value of a tax refund depends on your earnings and how much tax you paid in that period. Whenever you Read More
  • Can I still claim a tax rebate if I don't have a P45? Can I still claim a tax rebate if I don't have a P45? Yes, but you may have to wait longer to receive your tax rebate. You can claim a tax rebate if HMRC's records show that you paid too much income tax. Missing a P45 is not ideal, as Read More
  • Can you transfer my money to a bank abroad? Yes, we can transfer your money to any overseas bank account. For refunds of up to £2,000 we will usually charge you a £17 transfer fee, which simply covers our bank charges. There are individual countries (eg. Brazil) where this may vary. We can issue refunds directy into any UK Read More
  • Do I have to pay tax if I'm from overseas or a student? Yes. Everyone who works in the UK is liable to pay income tax, regardless of nationality. However, everyone is also entitled to a personal allowance, which is a tax free amount you can earn. Students and part-time workers often believe they don’t have to pay tax because they only work Read More
  • Do I need a national insurance number to claim my tax back? Yes, you do. You cannot claim a tax rebate without it. However, if you worked in the UK without a NI number then you are virtually guaranteed to be due a refund as you would have been placed on a special tax code. Whether you are still in the UK Read More
  • How do tax rebates work? 1 in 3 in the UK people overpay income tax and actually pay the government more than they should. It is the money that you overpay that we are able to reclaim for you. This money is legally yours and you are fully entitled to ask for it back. Everyone Read More
  • How far back can I claim a tax refund? Four years. Under HMRC's rules, a taxpayer can claim a tax refund going back to a maximum of 4 tax years. Currently, you can only claim a tax refund going back as far as 6th April 2011, which is the 2011-12 tax year. Tax refund claims related to previous tax Read More
  • How long will it take to receive my refund? Generally 4-6 weeks, according to HMRC's standard timescales to process tax refund claims. This is of course provided that you submitted correct information in the first place and supplied all required documents. During busier periods of the year, typically around January and April, this may take longer. It is important Read More
  • I'm on work secondment in the UK, how can I claim my UK tax back? You MUST complete a tax return. If you've already registered with HMRC and have been issued a Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number, you must submit a tax return within HMRC's deadlines, otherwise you could be imposed stiff financial penalties for not complying. If you've already left the UK and did Read More
  • Is TaxRefundPro a registered agent with HMRC? Yes, we are. Our registered agent code is 1324QL. We are a private company and as such, we are not part of or affiliated to HMRC or the UK government or any of its agencies. Read More
  • Is VAT included in your fees? No. All fees quoted on our website are exclusive of VAT. This is because we only charge VAT if you reside outside the European Union. VAT is not applicable if you reside in the UK or any other country part of the EU. The rate of VAT is equivalent to Read More
  • What are the rates for personal allowance? The personal allowance is the amount a person can earn in the UK before they pay income tax. The personal allowance rates vary from one year to the next. The Chancellor of the Exchequer decides which rates are applicable. Rates of personal allowance per tax year are as follows: Tax Read More
  • What do I need to do to claim a tax rebate? Simply complete a claim pack and return it to us free of charge. You can either download one directly from our website or contact us to request one. The claim pack contains various forms that we need in order to claim back your overpaid tax, including a signed authorisation to Read More
  • What does CIS mean? CIS stands for "Construction Industry Scheme" and only applies to some people who work in construction. They are self employed but as part of the CIS scheme they are charged income tax at source, on their gros income. Most CIS workers will know if this applies to them as they Read More
  • What does PAYE mean? PAYE stands for "Pay As You Earn" and applies to you if you are employed by a company or an individual. It means that you pay your tax and national insurance out of your wages each month “as you earn”. Read More
  • What is a "personal allowance"? The personal allowance is a tax-free amount that any UK taxpayer can earn. The rate of personal allowance varies from year to year. For the 2015/16 tax year, the amount you can earn tax-free is £10,600. Under the PAYE scheme (applicable if you're an employee) the personal tax-free allowance is Read More
  • What is a 64/8? 64/8 refers to the official form "Authorising your agent". HMRC requires from taxpayers that they sign a "64/8" form if they want to authorise someone (or a company) to act as their "agent". HMRC will not divulge information to an agent about any taxpayer unless they have on record a Read More
  • What is a P45? A P45 is a document that your employer gives you when you have finished working with them. It shows how much you have earned and how much tax you have paid during the tax year. When starting new employment, you should keep part 1A for your records and give parts Read More
  • What is a P60? A P60 is a document that your employer will give you every year at the end of the tax year on 5th April. It is a statement that shows how much you have earned and how much tax you have paid, as well as the tax code that was applied. Read More
  • What is a Statement of Earnings? A Statement of Earnings stipulates your Gross Pay and the tax you paid as at the date of leaving a particular employment. It can be requested if you have lost a P45 and require your year-to-date earnings details; if you need notification for year-end returns; if you don't have a Read More
  • What is a tax agent? In the UK, “HMRC defines an ‘agent’ as someone who is appointed to discuss, correspond or transact with them about matters they are responsible for. Agents include, for example, an accountant or a professional tax adviser (source taken from HMRC’s website).” A tax refund company is also a tax agent. Read More
  • What is a tax rebate? A tax refund or tax rebate is a refund on taxes when the tax liability [meaning: the calculated amount that you owe HMRC] is less than the taxes that you paid. (Source: Wikipedia; brackets are ours.) "Tax refunds" actually refers to the money HMRC gives back taxpayers in that situation. Read More
  • What is a tax return? In the United Kingdom, a tax return is a document that some individuals must file with HMRC (the official name of the UK tax office) in order to declare their income and personal circumstances. Based on the figures and answers they provide, HMRC calculate the taxpayer's liability for income tax Read More
  • What is the correct way to print a claim pack? Each page of the claim pack should be printed single-sided, not double-sided. Print orientation should be portrait. Always ensure that what you print is legible. Otherwise HMRC may reject your paperwork. Read More
  • When is the earliest time I can claim a tax refund? When is the earliest time I can claim a tax refund? It depends on the type of claim you are trying to make. Tax rebate claims for work expenses (like tools or mileage) are only applicable to lapsed (or past) tax years, except if you are making a claim because Read More
  • Who can claim a tax refund? You can only obtain a tax refund provided that you have overpaid income tax in the first place and your claim does not exceed HMRC's time limit. Anyone who has worked in the UK at some point within the last 4 tax years and has overpaid income tax can claim Read More
  • Why can't I email you a completed claim pack? Because HMRC doesn't accept scanned or photocopied signatures. The UK tax office insists on seeing original documents (not photocopies) as well as a "wet" signature from taxpayers authorising us to act on their behalf. . This is why we ask you to post the claim pack back to us instead of Read More
  • Why do I need to send you original documents like P45 or P60? This is because HMRC insists to see original documents. When HMRC has finished processing your claim at their end they will normally return the original documents to your last known address. If you cannot supply originals, your claim may be delayed; in some cases, it could even be invalidated. If Read More
  • 1
  • No Refund No Fee No risk! If you don't get any money back, then we don't charge you a fee. You have nothing to lose but everything to gain.
  • Cheapest Rates We won't be beaten on price with our super competitive fees and our PRICE MATCH GUARANTEE.
  • Free Advice We'll assess your claim for free, it won't cost you a penny to find out if you're owed pounds!
  • Expertise Real experienced tax consultants, no call centres, just professional expertise.
  • Honest & Ethical Straight talking, accurate advice with no jargon. We will tell you exactly what you can and can't claim within HMRC rules.
  • 1

TaxRefundPro's Accreditations

We use real accountants with accreditations from the following organisations: