Income Tax Refund Services

0203 137 5773
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Call today for free advice

What is the difference between a "permanent" and a "temporary" workplace?

A permanent workplace means the place at which an employee works if he or she attends it regularly for the performance of the duties of the employment. It is usually clear whether or not a place is an employee's permanent workplace (and, therefore, whether a journey to that place is ordinary commuting). It is possible for an employee to have more than one permanent workplace at the same time. The cost of travel to a permanent workplace is not deductible, which means you cannot claim a mileage tax rebate if your claim relates to ordinary commuting to and from a permanent place of work.
A temporary workplace is somewhere the employee goes only to perform a task of limited duration (usually under 24 months) or for a temporary purpose. The cost of travel to a temporary workplace is deductible, which means that employees travelling to a temporary workplace may qualify for mileage tax relief.

Can I claim a mileage tax rebate for commuting to and from work if I'm employed?

It depends if your commute relates to a "permanent" or "temporary workplace". The UK tax office does not accept mileage tax rebates from employees if your claim only relates to commuting to and from a permanent workplace i.e. the place of work you need to attend in order to perform your work duties. This is regardless how far or expensive your commute may be. The reason is you accepted to take on that employment "as is". However, you may be entitled to claim mileage tax relief if you commute to a temporary workplace.
Read the definition of permanent and temporary workplace here.

I'm on work secondment in the UK, how can I claim my UK tax back?

You MUST complete a tax return. If you've already registered with HMRC and have been issued a Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number, you must submit a tax return within HMRC's deadlines, otherwise you could be imposed stiff financial penalties for not complying. If you've already left the UK and did not register with HMRC (you were never issued a UTR number), you have 4 years to submit a tax return in order to get your tax back (after which time you will lose your entitlement for a tax rebate for good).
TaxRefundPro specialise in helping secondees get their UK tax back. Contact our experts so we can advise you regarding Secondment tax returns and Secondment tax rebates.

What is a Statement of Earnings?

A Statement of Earnings stipulates your Gross Pay and the tax you paid as at the date of leaving a particular employment. It can be requested if you have lost a P45 and require your year-to-date earnings details; if you need notification for year-end returns; if you don't have a P60 or cannot print one off because you don't have access to a computer or a printer.
. You can obtain a Statement Of Earnings from any current or an ex-employer. Alternatively, we can chase it up for you if you give us the authority to do so on your behalf. Contact us so we can advise you.