Can I claim a mileage tax rebate for commuting to and from work if I’m employed?

It depends if your commute relates to a “permanent” or “temporary workplace”. The UK tax office does not accept mileage tax rebates from employees if your claim only relates to commuting to and from a permanent workplace i.e. the place of work you need to attend in order to perform your work duties. This is regardless how far or expensive your commute may be. The reason is you accepted to take on that employment “as is”. However, you may be entitled to claim mileage tax relief if you commute to a temporary workplace.

Read the definition of permanent and temporary workplace here.

Want to know more?

If you think any of these examples apply to you then call our tax consultants now for free advice or fill in our application form for a free tax rebate application pack

Our simple three-step process


Step 1

Get in touch

Fill out our online form or give us a call. We just need some basic information like your employment history.

Step 2

Get an estimate

We'll give you an estimate on how much you might be due, and let you know how we can help you get it all back.

Step 3

Get paid

We will apply for your refund and do all the legwork with chasing up HMRC on the status of your application.