Can I claim both mileage tax relief and vehicle expenses?

No, you claim either one or the other. If you are employed and have to use your vehicle to perform your work duties, it would generally be to your advantage to claim mileage tax relief as the HMRC’s mileage allowance is generous enough to cover vehicle expenses such as fuel, maintenance and repairs, insurance, vehicle depreciation, etc. Claiming mileage tax relief is also a much easier process.

However, if you choose to claim vehicle expenses rather than mileage allowance, bear in mind that you would only be able to claim the percentage allocated to business use i.e. If your car usage is split 20% business and 80% personal use, you can only claim back 20% of the vehicle expenses as tax relief. If in doubt, contact us so we can advise you on the best method to use.

Want to know more?

If you need further information then call our tax consultants now on 0203 137 5773 for free consultation and advice on how we can help with your tax affairs.

Our simple three-step process


Step 1

Get in touch

Fill out our online form or give us a call. We just need some basic information like your employment history.

Step 2

Get an estimate

We'll give you an estimate on how much you might be due, and let you know how we can help you get it all back.

Step 3

Get paid

We will apply for your refund and do all the legwork with chasing up HMRC on the status of your application.